Thursday, August 18, 2011

Colossi Sizes

Here are some diagrams I once made showing the various sizes of the colossi in comparison to each other and to other things such as our tallest buildings or the largest animals that have ever existed etc.
I worked out the sizes of the colossi by first working out Wander's height in comparison to the blocks you see in the secret garden. I know the blocks are 2 units high (from the memory editor values) so to work out their height in centimeters and feet I first estimated Wander's height at around 5ft 7 inches or thereabouts which results in the blocks being 256cm high or roughly 8 feet. Then I worked out how tall Celosia is in comparison to Wander as it's one of the smallest colossi which worked out to be around 12ft high or 3.6 metres. So each square on the grid is 4 x 4 feet. I've added a foot scale at the side of each colossi chart as a reference, but with some of the larger colossi the grid and scale become minute!

I referenced the Shadow of the Colossi Wiki for the sizes and they pretty much match up with what I worked out, so the following scales should be pretty accurate.


Colossi sizes from the art book

I traced the colossi in Adobe Illustrator from the image above, but for some that are hidden I used still shots from the Dormin editor models. I've added Wander to each chart so you can see the size difference. I've also added links to those images where the text is too small to read, such as Phalanx and Hydrus.

#1 - Valus
#2 - Quadratus
#3 - Gaius
#4 - Phaedra
#5 - Avion
#6 - Barba
#7 - Hydrus

#8 - Kuromori
#9 - Basaran
#10 - Dirge

#11 - Celosia
#12 - Pelagia
#13 - Phalanx

#14 - Cenobia
#15 - Argus
#16 - Malus

Colossi Sizes Chart

Compared to Earth's Largest Ever Living Creatures
You can see they make even the largest dinosaurs or whales look small

King Kong compared to Malus

Colossi sizes Photoshop montage


Update 24-10-13
I decided to check the colossi sizes using my memory editor to see if they matched up with what I had worked out before (and posted here) but it seems I was way off. I'm still trying to work this out as it seems the colossi are much smaller than I first realised... that is, the sizes I had posted here were based on Wander's approximate height as a base guide, so all measurements made thereafter were based on Wander's height.

But the memory editor doesn't lie and it is giving me different values. As far as I can tell, each 'unit' the memory editor uses is 1 metre (as the Japanese use metres) and I know that each map square is 600m x 600m, so it follows that I can note the value at the base of a colossus, then note the value at the top of the colossus to work out its height.

Value at base of Quadratus(-97)

Value at top of Quadratus (-75)

From the above example (using #2 Quadratus) we see that the base level is -97 and the top level is approximately -75, although there is a higher spine than the one Wander is standing on which I measured at -73, so the end result is (97 - 73 = 24 metres high). This differs greatly to what I had posted here before (30.5 metres high) and what the SotC wiki states as Quadratus' height (29.9m) Note: I have frozen Quadratus here so it can't move. Now let's look at its length.

Value at front of Quadratus (facing north/south)

Value at rear of Quadratus (facing north/south)

Above we see the values for the front and back of Quadratus which if you work it out equals just over 31 metres - lets say 32 metres to round it off. Again, this is much smaller than my original value of 42.6m and the SotC wiki's length of 42.7m. 

So what are we to make of this? Is the memory editor wrong? How did the SotC wiki come up with their sizes for the colossi? As far as I know the colossi sizes are not listed in the art book, although I would have to have this checked by Glitterberri to make sure... 
As far as I can tell, the height I originally worked out for Wander's height (based on the Secret Garden blocks) is accurate, but I may have over estimated the sizes of the colossi thereafter... but I'll keep working on it so stay tuned for more ; )

Update 29-10-13
Well, it seems my memory editor is wrong or it isn't using metre values... as I worked out Wander's height to be 1.2 metres or just under 4 feet tall! This can't be right (can it?) I can work out the exact size of the blocks in the secret garden by standing at the base and noting the value where Wander is standing, then climbing onto the block to see how high it is, and it's exactly 2 metres tall by 2 metres wide. When I'm riding around the lands the map squares are definitely 600m x 600m square, so I'm puzzled by these discrepancies.

Wander next to a block in the secret garden

Block is 2 metres high which makes Wander 1.2 metres high

Update 06-11-13
Well, I'm going to proceed with the colossi sizes based on my memory editor values. As far as I can tell from experimentation the values are correct, Wander is indeed a diminutive 4 feet tall (3.9 ft actually) which may be why Agro looks so large in comparison. So he's a little fella with big ambitions to save his beloved Mono ; )


25 comments:

  1. That´s another good stuff.
    Waiting for more. xD

    "More later... I'm off to bed!"

    By some reason,I´m laughing because of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O_o Look at Phalanx!
    Anyway,this is precious information.

    And if the Statue of Liberty put down it arm,it and Malus will be close the same size,isn´t?

    Should be pretty hard to model such sized creatures.TeamICO have done a awesome work,no doubt.

    And,what you think Ueda will say about your hacks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ueda would probably like my enthusiasm but I'm not sure what he would think of my hacks. He might think I have sullied the purity of the game by doing things that were never intended... but you never know, he may find some of the things I do interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you are right Spirit. If the Statue of Liberty lowered her arm she would be about the same height as Malus. Good observation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I meant HyperSNES, not Spirit :0

    ReplyDelete
  6. No problem.
    This happens. XD

    Anyway,I think what some things you have done in special,even Ueda will like.
    This makes me think how will be an encounter between you,Pikol,wwwarea and TeamICO.
    I hope one day this happens,and Ueda answer all our questions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why you keep calling him Spirit?It doesn't matter.

    I think that when we are playing,they look a lot smaller.But following this we know they are really colossal.

    By the way if you,Pikol and WWWarea had an interview with Ueda he could say this:“Oh I remember my team developing thisbeta area”

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahaha, i think you made phalanax SO big!
    king kong its so patetic compared to malus! :P
    pd: im sanmono123 from youtube xD

    ReplyDelete
  9. pd2: you draw king kong in the empire state building xD
    pd3: you are a very good drawer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Why you keep calling him Spirit?It doesn't matter."

    But he called me Spirit just one time! :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was told that Guerreiro Wander was Spirit of Wander... is that right or not? If not then I apologize for any confusion.

    Who is Guerreiro Wander then? People have different user names on different sites, so it gets confusing sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wait, this can't be right. it says that Gaius is about 100ft tall and Malus is about 200ft tall, but if you look at the chart Malus is a lot more than twice the height of Gaius.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, you're right. Malus is too big... I'll have to fix it(sorry). He's 197 ft tall (60m), my chart was off.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Malus is off scale in the comparison to largest buildings chart too. The statue of liberty is 150 feet tall, so Malus should be about 50 feet taller than the Statue of Liberty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, I know - that's why I removed them... the statue of liberty in my chart has the base it stands on so it's actually just over 300 ft tall, so about 100 feet higher than Malus.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK Sam, I fixed the charts so they should look correct now. So Malus is actually smaller than the Statue of Liberty (that is with it's base). Without the base Malus would be taller.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Phalanx looks MUCH smaller in game, mostly because of how thin it is, I suppose. This chart actually makes me respect what is already one of my favorite colossi even more. Bravo, Nomad!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job, those comparisons were amazing

    ReplyDelete
  19. When playing it, they kinda intimidate me because of the size. Now I'm more scared XD

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Nomad! Nice blog you have here. I was just wondering if you could make a size comparison between Phalanx and various man-made flying machines. The Saturn-V rocket perhaps? Or a jumbo jet? Anyway, just a suggestion=))

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey, Have you ever explored any of the secret places in SotC? in The Valus Mountains, there are tunnels you can see in the sides of the mountain. Also the temple in the side of the valley you Battle Valus in, it has some cool stuff inside it. There are a few more too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Not sure what 'tunnels' you mean... and there's nothing in that temple sadly, it's just for show. I've been behind it and it's just a shell (a facade) against the mountains.

    ReplyDelete